Tuesday, March 30, 2010

5 Excellent Breakfast Wines Just in Time for Spring

Ah, spring. There's something about these warmer airs that really put me in the mood.... for wine with breakfast!
Yes, this is the brunching season, and so too is it a time when pre- noon imbibery becomes the norm. So let’s indulge, shall we?
Here is a list of my 5 favourites to drink with (or in my case, without) your breakfast- but first a few rules.
Rule number one: forgo the Mimosa’s and Champagne- do you really want to be a living breathing cliché? Besides the only people who really enjoy mimosas are closeted republicans and South Americans (neither of whom I’ll be drinking with anytime soon.)
Rule number two: Don’t pussy foot around about when you order. You are an adult, order some god damned wine. And order lots.
Here's what to choose:
Prefer a red? Think in the direction of lighter, fruity items such as a Beaujolais, simple Chianti or Spanish Garnacha rather than big, tannic brutes.
Or if you’re like me- try a barbera d’Alba, preferably the 2006 Serra Boella from Paitin, which I had leftover from my recent research on chilled reds, which I wrote about in Harper’s last year.
 If you like a white, go for a 2005 muscadet Domaine Pierre de la Grange from Pierre Luneau-Papin. 
Alternatively, a Sarrazin, or If you want to spend about half, the beaujolais to go for is the tried-and-trusted 2004 Louis Jadot Beaujolais Villages Combe aux Jacques, whose ripe, elegant, cherry fruit is a spring star, with a quarter of the blend made from superior, declassified Régnié and Morgon fruit .

And finally- if you’re daring enough start with a port. As I said, you’re an adult, act like it.

Chin- chin!

No comments:

Post a Comment