Friday, November 6, 2009

A Reisling to believe



It’s gratifying, being a wine critic and competition judge, to have my initial impressions of a winery validated on a subsequent encounter.

I first discovered Newport Vineyards of Rhode Island last year, having taken a detour after one of dearest friends weddings. Recently, a friend brought a bottle of Newport’s 2009 “Tranquility” to an all-girls sex toy party my wife was hosting. Thankfully, my wife put the bottle aside with a last taste until I got home that evening.

When she handed me the glass, I took one sniff and said, “Alsatian. Good quality.” Was it Riesling? There seemed to be some Gewurztraminer, but also a floral/peachy note that disguised the grape content. I was delighted when she showed me the label, because since last year’s contest I hadn’t had the opportunity to taste any other Newport wines.

Tranquility is 47% Gewurztraminer, 35% Muscat Ottonel (that elusive note that eluded me), 11% Pinot Gris and a mere 7% Riesling. It is great stuff, and should delight any fans of Alsace. It sells for $20 at the winery, but if my instinct prove right, and they always do- this one is certianly a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment